Total Pageviews

05 January 2007

Replaced Lighthouses

The first photo is of the Old Cape Point Lighthouse which was used from 1st May 1860 to 11th March 1919. It was replaced by the lighthouse directly below it as it was too high and was sometimes obscured by mist and cloud.
The second photo is of The Hill Lighthouse in Port Elizabeth which was replaced by Deal Light (below it) because the city lights and high rise buildings obscured the light and made it difficult to distinguish.