05 November 2006
This lighthouse was named after Colonel AW Durnford who was the colonial engineer in Natal in the 1870's. This lighthouse has replaced the original lattice structure that was erected on 01 March 1916 by H Cooper. Access is difficult and requires a 4x4 and passes through a local villiage. The lighthouse is gaurded by 2 armed gaurds at all times due to vandalism and theft.
Posted by Joe Viljoen at 7:49 pm