The area was named by Bartholomeu Dias in 1488 ( L'Agulhas which means Cape of the Needle) The compass needle jumped around when rounding the Cape.
Most Southerly Lighthouse in Africa and the one with the most shipwrecks near it. First lit on 01-03-1849 making it one of the oldest too.
It has a range of 30 sea miles.
Photo by Nic Codeghini